This is our dear friend Sally.
Sally grew up here in CT in a neighboring town. She has done many, many things in her life. She wrote for the newspaper for a great many years, she has published a book on the history of our town, and she is a longstanding member of a women's choir. She is nearing her 90s and we have enjoyed getting to know her and the things she has done. She often talks about times back then and we love hearing her stories(makes me miss my own grandpa S who was always telling his stories) We were delighted to learn that her childhood home is still standing and this last Sunday Sally took us on a tour. My girls and I have been reading the Little House books together and they are so fun to read about outhouses, and thrashing, and blueberry patches, and gardens, and walks to school, but to hear someone who had actually done all those things was just too fun.
Thank you, Sally, for sharing with us.
Sally's elementary school house in beautiful condition.
Someone has built a larger house on to the rear of the school, but I so love how they left that red school room door.
This is her home.
She doesn't really like to visit it much, because it is in such bad shape, but she was grateful just the same to show us around. That bright green tree in front of the house is a pear tree! I had no idea they could get that huge. It was so fun to hear her talk about how she would climb the hill next to her house every afternoon and wave to her best friend on a nieghboring farm, and then each would head off to do thier own chores.(just a wave--no texting or long chats)
And spring is really upon us.
Isn't it gorgeous out there?
My kids are getting sick of my telling at them to look out the window at that beautiful field, or the different greens on the trees, or the blossems.
Well, tough, they might be ordinary Connecticutians, but I am still a desert girl and this spring stuff is amazing! Thankfully, I allergy free, because I have seen enough pollen around to drown a skunk.



3 comments:
Surprisingly, it is really green in Albuquerque for Spring, as well! I love it!! It is always a welcome change after a cold, snowy, winter. That is so awesome that you have a wonderful woman in your life and your kids lives! Reminds me of my Grandmother and, of course of Gma S and Gpa S!
No fair, you need to share Sally
I miss Sally so much. Sat next to her a church after Kev passed. With both of us being widows there is just an unspoken understanding. I loved being at her home. I brought the young women to talk about her times growing up. The girls were amazed that ice cream cones were 7 cents. Then she talked about her dance parties on the weekends and so much more. Please give a hug for me.
Post a Comment