I just love a good birthday, and I nearly always have great ones, but this time I was a little apprehensive about turning the big 3-0. I knew that a great present would really turn things my way. Just so you know, Adam and I aren't really do good at surprising each other with gifts. We need to work harder at figuring each other out, but for now, we talk over things we want and send each other emails. So when he asked me what I wanted for my birthday I knew that I really needed to tell him, or else I'd get something lame.
My inspiration for this year's gifts was a recent bike ride with friends. My friend BJ had just gotten her kids who are 8 and 9 new bikes, bikes with gears, and Ellie loved them. To see her zooming up and down the trail was a hoot. I wanted her to have a bike of her own, but what were the rest of us to do while Ellie is miles ahead of us on her new ride? Thus the idea of a family bike crept in. A bike to haul all those babies and still be able to keep up with my Ellie and Emma.
"How about one of these?" I asked my darling husband. He gulped at the prices nearing $1700 and said, "Sure honey, anything to make you happy." And I laughed and said, "Alright, how about the good old fashioned bike and trailer?"
And that's what I got. Meet the new Momma bike!

I have a seat for the back of the bike too, so that I'll be able to fit all three little ones.
Today was our first ride. My friend, BJ, watched the baby so that Cayden and I could pick up Gracie from preschool on the momma bike. It was a blast, quite a workout, but still a blast. And we couldn't help ourselves and stopped at DD for some donuts to make the day extra special. Now if anyone askes Gracie, she'll tell you her momma has the fastest bike ever.


And here is the other birthday girl just about to get her present.

Now for the cake story.
Here is what I wanted to make.
This is what we ended up with...
Ha, but Ellie was a good sport and laughed about it.
Why do I think I can be a cake baker just a few times a year?!

Notice the phantome wind coming from the East?
"CayyyyDEN!"
Happy riding, y'all!

It's amazing to think that my oldest is nine now, and I have spent nearly the last decade of my life parenting, mostly from my home. I wonder how many hours I have spent in my kitchen, or playroom, or bathroom helping to wipe little bums. I wonder what the next decade will bring. There is still a lot more bum wipping to do, but things are going to start moving a lot faster. There won't be as many just stay home days, and as much as they can bore me out of my mind I know I am going to miss those lazy play in the back yard days when I am spending afternoon after afternoon shuttling kids to their respective sports and activities and music lessons. I don't know if I am ready for the "on the run" parenting that is coming my way.

















6 comments:
Happy Birthday to you and Ellie! I love the bike idea!! How great!! Oh man, I wish we lived closer! Our kids would have a blast playing together.
I want you to know I did think of you on your birthday :) Happy Birthday! I gotta tell you I really love this post. We got a bike and trailer for me last fall and we love bike riding together as well. You and your kids all look super cute on your bikes/in the trailer. You look really happy too :) Also-Happy Birthday to Ellie! Haahaha-I love how your cake turned out and the sleeping beauty picture next to it; so cute. Awesome.
I want you to know I did think of you on your birthday :) Happy Birthday! I gotta tell you I really love this post. We got a bike and trailer for me last fall and we love bike riding together as well. You and your kids all look super cute on your bikes/in the trailer. You look really happy too :) Also-Happy Birthday to Ellie! Haahaha-I love how your cake turned out and the sleeping beauty picture next to it; so cute. Awesome.
LOVE IT!! Hope you and Ellie had a great Bday!!
We have to get out and use these bikes!
We have to get out and use these bikes!
Post a Comment