Monday, November 05, 2012

The Almost Hurricaned Halloween

Nearly all Halloween plans were put on hold yet again this year, waiting to see what hurricane Sandy would bring us.  Thankfully, Sandy was spent all out by the time she reached us and her rains and winds didn't do too much damage to us, and Halloween could continue in regular fashion, although the New York and New Jersey shores are still reeling from her destruction.







The best thing I ever did for Halloween- a few years ago I purchased a half dozen pumpkin carving kits on clearance.  Before that we were using good ol dangerous kitchen knives.



Halloween kinda frustrates me, from a picture taking point of view.  We get them all dressed up inside, and then we go out in the DARK to trick-or-treat.  How is one supposed to get good pictures that way?  Last year I forgot that fact, plus there was a giant snowstorm outside and I didn't get a decent picture at all of the kids in costume. Which I was kinda upset about because I had had a great theme planned, Star Wars, with Emma as Leah and Cayden as Yoda and the babe as  Jedi apprentice.  And I had also made a cute wig for Gracie to wear as Rapunzel.  Luckily, she was OK with being Rapunzel again.





So this year, I made them dress up extra early.
And take pictures.


Rapunzel and Mother Gothel

And a witch thrown in for good measure.


This kid had multiple costumes to choose from, but all he would agree to were simple accessories, and so we had a backwards knight yielding a pink sword.

And a sock monkey!






We green-ed her face and put on her coat for the real deal, and hit the neighborhood.
Guess who brought home the most candy?
Emma!
By a long shot.  
She must have gathered twice as much candy as Ellie and three or four times as much as Gracie and Cayden.  We suspect she hit a few houses more than once;)  And while she doesn't admit to it, she does conceded that it was pretty confusion trying to keep track of which houses she had been to and which ones she had not.

Hooty Halloween!



2 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

I totally agree about getting pictures on Halloween! SO hard to get something good in the dark. I will have to try your way next year and have us all dress up extra early! Love the costume ideas!

Stacy Smith said...

They are all adorable but sock monkey is my favorite.