I was so nervous at the beginning of this summer. I couldn't fathom how I was going to entertain all my little ones and big ones at the same time. It takes some preparation and effort just to get out of the house, much less find places to spend our days without breaking the bank, and don't forget nap times that must be had too. But, with the help of a friend, I found my perfect summer spot this year, Sandy Beach in Morris, CT. It is rumored to be the best kept secret on Batam Lake, and it must be so because I cannot find a good link to send you to for more information. Ohh, but we loved it. It was so small townish, with friendly lifeguard and swimming instructors, a large and of course sandy beach, snack shack, changing rooms, and frequently cleaned out port-a-potties. After the season pass, the lessons were just $10 for a two week session. We did all three sessions this summer. Six weeks of daily swimming.
Each morning we were able to get our chores done, cleaning, dishes, and piano. Then it was off to the beach for swimming lessons for the two older girls and lake playtime for the littles. Cayden soon learned where it was too deep for him, and would plow through the water over and over in the shallow depths. Gracie also got more comfortable in the water, and little babe practiced his scooting and sand eating and splashing. Adam asked me a few times this summer what kinds of things the big girls did in swimming lessons, and I would just laugh. I have no idea what they did each day during lessons, I spent my time keeping those other three non-swimmers alive.
But it got easier, we got into a rhythm, we had a system. We would stay as long as we could each day. When the baby cried it was time to leave and everyone knew their job. We would head to the car, Emma with the beach blanket, Ellie with the diaper bag, Cayden with the sand bucket, and Graice with the snack. I would change the boys into clean diapers and pjs, and we'd rush home to get them into bed thier afternoon naps.
Then it was girls time with movies, or crafts, or baking, or often it was "I don't care what you do, but go downstairs and be quiet so Mom can take a nap" time. That beach really was the best part of our summer. It never got old. There was a great tree to sit under when it was too hot to be in the sun. We made plenty of new friends. And Bestly..It took up a good chunk of each day:)
Here are some pics from the end of summer celebrations. First, was the swim across the lake. Four life guards and twenty kids took the plung all the way across the lake. It took Ellie and her friend a little more than an hour to get all the way. Emma's group took a little longer with their lifeguard pulling his three little students practically the entire way. Poor guy.
On to the dock to wave farewell to the girls.
70 minutes later... two exhausted girls
It started to rain a bit as Emma made it to the beach. She had to stop to give her friend a hug before waving to us.
Emma's exhausted lifeguard.
We brought him cookies the next day.
You did it Emma!
I know I've never swam across a lake.
Gosh, they are growing up on me.
And the rest of the pictures are just beachy fun.
This is his version of a three legged race. There is no way he was going to be attached to someone else.



















2 comments:
Perfect way to spend a summer. And I have never swum all the way across a lake either. Sounds like something I should shoot for.
That looks so stinking perfect!
Post a Comment