Saturday, November 05, 2011

Birthdays with Snow


Can I tell you how a tornado last summer kept us warm this past week?
It was incredible, the swiftness, the power, and the distruction.
And no one would have ever thought that something good was to come of it.


But a year and a bit later, something good happened because that tornado that came down our street.  When an early snowstorm came through our state last Saturday it blanketed us with 16 inches of snow, pulled down trees who hadn't lost thier leaves yet, and caused widespread power outages in every town in Connecticut...but we did not loss power.  That tornado had cleared away all those weak trees and limbs that would have fallen on our the power lines and poles.  Do you know others are still without power, a whole week later?  It would have been quiet an ordeal to be without power in this cold weather with our newest little one in the house.  I know Heavenly Father was watching out for us.  He knew that those trees were growing weak.  He knows all and sees all.  We are so blessed that those trees were taken care of quickly and without too much hardship(we were without power for just a day instead of the week that most people are dealing with now).  I hope that I can learn to be more thankful for the other "helpful tornados" I encounter in my future.


In the meantime.  We have had an exciting last week.  Along with all the snow and power outages, we had birthdays and Halloween and an unexpected week long vacation from school!

To start:  My little Man turned Two!!



Our Cayden is so much fun.  He amazes us constanly the things he masters and figures out.  It is quite a chore trying to stay one step ahead of him, trying to guess what his next move will be.  Every morning when he runs to our bed I think, "OK, what are you going to get into today?"  But how about that handsome smile?!  It gets me everytime.

We are excited to be two, especially when it comes with new trucks and tools!


Now, remember that Cayden, Adam, and Cayden's sister Brooklyn all share a brithday and that we celebrate together. This year their birthday was the Sunday after the snowstorm.  Adam had requested ham for his birthday dinner and I had gathered all the fixings for a proper birthday feast, which was probably the best present I could have given Adam.  When he saw all the food and he thought about all our families around without power, he couldn't help but invite them to his dinner.  We had a great night with family and friends.

Brooklyn turned 8, Cayden is 2, and our Adam is now an aged 32.






4 comments:

Amy said...

I've been thinking about you this week as several Connecticut refugees have taken shelter down here with family. I am glad to hear that you have had power and had some warm birthday celebrations.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Cayden, Brooklyn and bishop!

Julie Barnes said...

Oh happy birthday to all three and what a great attitude towards a tornado. Glad you stayed warm

LUNTS said...

You guys are blessed and it was a miracle and how scary. Your son is a cutie! Love the pictures.