Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yellow Sunshine

I love to watch my friends blogs as they share how they've decorated their homes, and pulled out holiday decor, or planned beautiful parties.  Some people are so gifted in their ability to find and collected beauty and display it in their homes.  My decorating style is stark to say the least.  Eveything thing that is in my home has cost me months of debating and planning and second guessing.  I like to think of my style as "simple and uncluttered", but it is perhaps more like "unable to make any decor decisions so we'll just leave it be" style, but recently I got a little more bold and I want to tell you about it.

My littlest ones have the cutest bedding.  My mom made matching Dr. Suess quilts and sheet sets for them soon after Cayden came home, and for the last year they have happily sat on thier cute little white crib and toddler bed in their blue room and with all their toys. Things were lovely until right before vacation when Cayden learned how to climb out of his crib and I began searching Craiglist for another toddler bed.  I found one with similar stylings to Gracie's and my plan was to paint it white to match, but I stared thinking that even though they will both be white, they won't look like a matched pair unless something distracting is going all to stear your eye away from their differences, and that's when something bit me.  My teny, super tiny creative bug and I began to question my sensible choice.  "Why not go a bit crazy here?" I asked myself.  "They are only toddler beds after all.  You paid like $15 for each one.  You can't hurt them."  

So I headed to the hardware store and bravely picked out a can of warm yellow spray paint(and later bravely went back and picked up three more cans of that stuff.  Whew, it took a while and a lot of paint to get to all those little railings).

And I just love it and I vow to be more brave in the future.





I even took the time to spray paint the hardware in a oiled bronze to match their dresser hardware.












This is a dresser that my aunt and uncle gave to us when we were first married.  I refinished it last year and love it's midcentury style even more.



Now to tackle that huge wall above those little beds.  Aw, well, we won't stress.  It will come together sometime or maybe we'll have a pretty blue wall for a while, that's my style after all.


6 comments:

Snort said...

I. Love. Them. Seriously. It is so cheerful! I've always wanted to paint furniture bold colors, but I end up chickening out. Walls, sure, but I generally stick with cream or black with furniture. Good for you! Have you ever been on MADE? The room kinda reminds me of her little girls'.

Tammy said...

How did the hardwear spraying work? All our door knobs in our house or gold - which is my least fav of all - do you think it would work on them? Replacing each one would just be a bit too pricey for me now - but a can or spray paint - I could do.

Christine said...

I think it is awesome! And it goes so nicely with the blue walls. I love it when you can find a happy medium to have color/decor that matches both genders without being too bland. Good for you for taking a risk!! I am the same way about decorating, too and I just need to bite the bullet and do something.

Julie Barnes said...

SO cute!! So cute! We are so similar. I don't like clutter, therefore, I don't decorate my home. Weird, I know... but I also can't decide on what to get and then when I do I see how expensive it is and decide it isn't a necessity after all. You are awesome.

Unknown said...

Thanks girls!
-Yes, Court, I love that bedroom from MADE. It was after seeing it I decided to try and stick with primary colors.
-Tammy, go buy yourself a can of oil rubbed bronze and it will be your best friend. A coat or two on your doorknobs would be fabulous. I think it should last awhile and not rub off.

Melanie said...

Your beds turned out way cute!