Today I don't have any specific cute kid moments.
Sometimes they just aren't cute.
Mostly they are a lot of work and frustration.
I don't know what it is, but I have been feeling a bit trapped lately. I blame it on the never ending winter. I blame it on my husband. I blame it on my kids. I even put a little blame on my friends who moved away and left me here. But of course, that doesn't work.
Every year as we get older we learn more about ourselves and what makes us happy. I think this winter I forgot to make sure I was doing those things. We are a busy family with lots of little kids and a busy daddy. With so many urgent needs around sometimes the important but not urgent ones get pushed back and pushed back. So here are the things that make me happy that I shouldn't live without.
1. Scriptures- duh, I don't know why this is so hard for me.
2. Physical Activity- I am going to run again. I am going to push the spare bed up against the wall and get on that treadmill again. And I am going to join a volleyball league again.
3. Get out of the house- With two toddlers now I need play dates and story times and museum trips and parks.
So I have started. Today took my kids to the museum. We went in the morning before the kitchen was cleaned and before the laundry was done(gasp!) We went straight to the basement where there is a undersea world just for toddlers. I took off their shoes and let them free. They didn't spill any milk. They didn't unplug any chords. They didn't dump any toys. They didn't eat any crayons, or unfold any laundry, or get lotion on anything!!! They just wandered around finding all the cute little crannies and nooks. We danced in front of the mirrors. They slid of the slide. We played a tremendous amount of pick-a-boo. They love it, and so did I. Gracie kept saying, "Over here, MOM!" when she found something new. I didn't even bring my camera, because its too cumbersome and today was about being free. I did miss it though. I'll bring it next time. They are just too cute in there. I need those pictures.
Of course the aftermath of spending the morning out kinda bit me in the bum that afternoon,with shortened nap times and loads of chores before cub scouts, but oh well. Taking it easy and safe at home does not make me happy.
Tomorrow I am going running.
And I'm getting my scriptures out right now.
I am feeling less and less trapped already.
*our missionaries are on Facebook. Are yours? Today Elder Urrutia posted a video on my wall and I just love it. She looks like an awesome lady that I can learn a lot from. She blogs(71toes.blogspot.com) for the same reasons I do. I love finding those beautiful moments in my life and keeping them safe in my little blog.
Denver for Photos!
1 month ago
6 comments:
I hear you. We should get together one of these days - with just Chloe home, she frequently needs more of a playmate than I can be all day long.
Wow... my thoughts exactly! I can't wait for summer, then we can get out of the house. :)
We all are feeling that way. BTW that museum is my favorite!! When I come up we should get together and go. I blame moving away from my friends too.
I LOVE Shawni's blog! Did you know she's here in AZ? I read it on her mom's website.
Anyway, it's always nice to get out and do something. The times I remember most with my kids are the ones that I didn't take pictures. Probably because I was there enjoying it with them, not trying to get the picture. You're an AWESOME mom. Keep it up.
I had one of those "her too?" moments when I read this. I call mine the "claustrophobic" feeling that I get (usually when I'm buried under a never-ending pile of laundry that the kiddos knock over every time they walk by me). Guess I should take out the scriptures myself.
This is exactly how I was feeling the other day. It may have been the screaming, stomping tantrums, or maybe the gray skies and rain, but I wanted to run away from home the other day.
I can't wait for spring! And I need to give you a call soon!
Post a Comment