I never really realized that this next activity was a tradition, but thinking back on all of our wintertime visits to my parents I found that my dad always found time to show us the history of the area we grew up in. In years past we visited some early explorers rock carvings, indian massacre sites, ancient indian ruins, and many mormon battalion structures. This year he brought us to a more recent exhibit, an abandoned mining community populated in the early 1950s. A woman in the community spent her days collecting discarded materials to beautify her desert surroundings. Her designs were quite intricate and very original, and the open mine pit was a big hit with the boys.
Have you seen such a blue sky? The desert really is pretty in its own way.
2 comments:
I'm not bored. I think it's interesting to learn about the history of the place you grew up in! :-).
Beautiful.... the pictures and words were a joy to see and read... :O)
Post a Comment