Thursday, February 22, 2007

Brought back to Humility

I wanted to write this post to show my kids that I make mistakes, sometimes I am lazy, and I am not as perfect as they think I am.

When you have a new professor, the first test or assignment is always looked forward with anticipation. What are his expectations? Have I done enough or too much? How well do I really have to study? If I write my essay answer just before class will it be good enough?

Last Tuesday night I had a midterm in my history class. Fifty multiple choice questions and one essay. Pretty simple, right? He even gave us the question a week earlier and I was semi-confident I had aced the thing. I had studied a full hour before class. I had written a rough draft of my essay answer. For high school, that was all the preparation needed. Obviously, college is different. I did good the multiple choice but my essay was WAY off. I clearly had not meet my professor's expectations.

At the bottom in red ink, "If you need extra help with essays, see me."

Oh man, he thinks I'm an idiot! And I probably am, but watch out Dr. V. My next essay is going to rock. I'll study two hours if I have too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kayla, you are too hard on yourself! I give you an A++ just for going back to College. I'm sure your essay ROCKED, it's just some instructors are stuck on THEIR WAY of righting an essay. You are doing GREAT and nobody thinks that you are dumb....If anything I admire you for all your accomplishments, you truely are a wonderful person!!

Cherished Moments Turned Into Family Memories said...

From past experience these professors enjoy a little visit from you during office hours. Sometimes it is the professors wanting things their way and other times there is something we have missed in the interpretation. Keep your chin up and let me know if I can help I'm happy to read a draft of your essay. Of course I'll need more than two hours before class :-)

Melanie said...

Don't worry about the essay...I like the new colors on your blog!