Sunday, April 16, 2006

Spring is Here Finally






At last it is time to say goodbye to the snow and cold. The trees are in bloom, the birds are back, and my kids can play outside again. Hurray!

This Saturday we had our first annual Marble Spring cleanup. We focused mostly on the front yard. Adam did most of the work and the girls and I supervised. He raked the sand, left by the snow plows, out of the yard near the road. He ripped out a forlorn looking flower bed in front of our sidewalk, we will be planting grass there instead, easier and cheaper to care for. He straightened the bricks of the flower beds in front of the house. He cleared out the old mulch, planted new plants, and added new mulch. We, meaning I helped a little, wire-brushed our banister, which was rusting, and painted it again. We also cleaned our concrete stairs that had rust spots on them left from the rusting banister. Overall, a lot of work but our house looks a little brighter.

We still need to paint our garage door and a spot under the front door. They look especially bad since Adam used his power washer to spray loose any chipping paint.

Ellie had a wonderful time helping Dad plant the new bushes. She would try to gently put them in their holes but they would slip out of her hands and land with a plop. Emma is really into rocks, so I spent most of the day chasing her around telling her to spit out the rocks. To try and keep them occupied I sent Ellie with the hose to wash her toy car. A little later I heard Emma crying. She was sitting in the car and Ellie had just doused her with the hose, "Mom, Emma's in the way."

No comments: